Our Changing Village
Ollerton and Marthall have experienced the dynamics of the modern English countryside. Work has steadily moved from farming and increased mobility has allowed villagers to work miles from their homes, in some cases even in other countries. This mobilty has also brought competition to local businesses and services with out of town megastores and shops.
THE POST OFFICE.
Our villages' post-office closed in 2000 and our nearest post office is now in Chelford. In the years before its closure it had been a key part of Ollerton and even kept in business having had to move premises across Ollerton Cross Roads when its original building was demolished to make the exit from Marthall Lane safer.
Many accidents had happened at this accident black spot as illustrated by this 1965 picture.
Mr & Mrs Bailey are fondley remembered as the last operators of the Post Office, with Mrs Bailey taking over for a period after the loss of her husband. Mrs Bailey's retirement was marked by a presentation in 2000. More Post Office history in this section.
Ollerton has had two school buildings in its history. The first, according to a historical record, was funded from the estate of Samuel Leigh and built around 1700. The second school was built near to the first in 1876 by Lord Egerton. In an agreement dated 1903 between Lord Egerton, Managers Rev. Gresswell, George Staniere, Samuel Callwood and J.T. Smith, his Lordship gave permission as Tenants to use the School for educational purposes. Due to falling numbers of pupils attending, the school closed in 1993 and was sold in 1994. It is now a private dwelling. More school history in this section.
The Methodist Church built in 1886 served as a place of worship for the community for almost a century and closed in 1982 due to the number of worshipers falling to a very low level.
There is evidence that suggests that in the early part of the last century, Congregationalists and early Methodists held services in a cottage in the village, but it was not until 1867 that the Wesleyan Methodists took over the cottage known as 'Number 3 Toll Bar Cottages' in Marthall lane and commenced holding services there. The first of which took place on the 2nd June 1867.
The cottage was given rent-free by Mr G Caldell, the Nurseries over Knutsford, and this continued for 19 years. Prior to 1886 Number 2 Toll Bar Cottages was also used as a preaching room.
On the 5th August 1885 the stone laying ceremony took place for the Chapel, and it was opened on the 4th August 1886. The Chapel was closed for worship in 1982 and sold by the church authorities. It is now a private dwelling